The NSRN 2016 conference was co-hosted with the ‘Diversity of Nonreligion’ Research Project at the University of Zürich, Switzerland, 7-9 July 2016.
Call for Papers (PDF, and below)
Call for Papers
Approaching Nonreligion: Conceptual, methodical, and empirical approaches in a new research field
“The Diversity of Nonreligion” & NSRN Conference 2016
7-9 July 2016, University of Zürich, Switzerland
For some years now, nonreligious phenomena have not only sparked public, but also scholarly attention. A rising number of scholars have begun to engage with both organized and non-organized forms of nonreligion. We want to use this conference to go beyond the discussion of terms and individual findings to facilitate exchange over different approaches, and engage with the following broader questions:
- What phenomena are approached in research projects on nonreligion and how is nonreligion construed in different studies?
- What are central theoretical references for studies on nonreligion, and in what way do scholars engage with related broader debates on religion and secularity?
- What are methodic and methodological challenges and approaches in concrete empirical research?
- What scientific traditions and sources of inspiration motivate and guide researchers in the field of nonreligion?
- In what ways is research on nonreligion entangled with religious-nonreligious contestations?
The conference brings together empirical research with conceptual and methodological reflection, as well as a self-reflexive perspective on the research field itself.
There will be room for both individual papers as well as prepared panels. We welcome scholarly contributions from different scientific fields. Please apply with either an abstract for an individual paper or a proposal for a thematic session (2-4 individual papers). Please name your institutional affiliation if possible. Please send your proposal (200-300 words) to: email@example.com
Deadline for proposals: January 15th 2016, Notification of acceptance: January 30th 2016
Department of Social Anthropology and Cultural Studies (ISEK), University of Zürich, Switzerland (http://www.isek.uzh.ch/index.html)
The Diversity of Nonreligion: Religious-Nonreligious Dynamics in the Contemporary World (http://www.nonreligion.net)
Nonreligion and Secularity Research Network (www.nsrn.net)